The Movement is a community center that provides HIV prevention activities for young black gay/bisexual, and same gender loving men between the ages of 13 and 29. The Movement is a satellite office of NO/AIDS Task Force that provides:
- On and off-site rapid HIV counseling, testing and referral
- A young gay/bisexual men’s social networking program
- One-on-one counseling for individuals who are struggling to adopt or maintain risk reduction behaviors
- A drop in safe space for young gay/bisexual men,
- A Youth Advisory Board that oversees the development of The Movement.
In Louisiana, Black and African Americans make up only 32% of the state’s population but account for 74% and 78% of all new HIV and AIDS cases respectively. In 2010, of the new HIV diagnoses among African Americans in Louisiana, 47% are men who have sex with men, this rate increases to 57% when looking just within the city of New Orleans.
The Movement, a program of NO/AIDS Task Force, was created to bring a new approach to HIV prevention to address these statistics amongst the black gay/bisexual community in New Orleans. The Movement is funded through a five year grant from the Center for Disease Control (CDC), to work with and mobilize the community to prevent the spread of HIV/AIDS in New Orleans.
Please call ahead or email for current hours or for more information.
The Movement-Community Based Testing Site
The Healing Center- Affordable Healing Arts | 2372 St. Claude Ste. 220 | Map
- Wednesdays: 4:00 pm – 7:00 pm
The Movement – Outreach Venue Testing
NOTE: Venue Based testing is subject to change and/or cancellation depending on holidays or events at the bars.
- The Vibe, 10:30 pm – 12:30 am, 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month
- Fusions, 10 pm – 12 am, 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month